Friday, March 1, 2013

New Daemons

I've been too busy and/or lazy to post much lately. I'm off to The Colonial GT tomorrow, playing a 2k 40k event...the last hurrah for my Flamer/Screamer spam!

I won't really have my heart in it, as I'm trying to get my head around the changes to my Daemons. I've not found good info for Fantasy, but for 40k, it's a very different kind of army!

This will be a very short post, but I wanted to share a thought or two...


First, holy Psy Powers, Batman! The army can be incredibly shooty (give a Tzeentch Herald the gift that gives +1 to Psy Power Str, plop him in a giant unit of Horrors, and between them they dish out 6d6 S6 AP4 shots at Range 24"!) Nurgle and Slaanesh have some interesting powers as well...

...and all that's for shit when there are Eldar on the table...

...but then again, Eldar are getting a new book soon, they say, and they also say that 'passive psy defense' is going to be a thing of the past, in which case Horror Spam will be terribly destructive. I approve!

Second, things are SO SOFT AND SQUISHY. This army has really gone the Glass Cannon route. Across the board there seems to have been an increase in the damage output (with the notable exceptions of Flamers and Screamers, which were beat down hard!)...but likewise across the board everything got squishier! Lower Toughnesses, drastically reduced saves, loss of Eternal Warrior: the biggest example I can find is the Bloodcrushers, that went from a lovely 3+ save to a lowly 5++ invuln, at T4 with no EW, they're toast!

On a personal note, I am of course disappointed but not surprised at how bad Flamers were beat down; Screamers I think are right where they need to be. I wish Flamers had been given similar treatment to Horrors...give them some fun Psy power that gets better the more there are in the unit. But, that being said, I feel like my stable of models will allow a pretty fun and balanced force, hopefully with minimal impact on my wallet! Luckily I have some store credits here and there, so can pick up a few things: Plaguebugs are ugly (as they should be!) but their fast T5 multi-wound meanies that dish out a lot of wounds, threaten vehicles, and take a punch and keep on coming!

So, after Colonial, when I've had a bit of a sit-down with the Codex, I'll start spamming my list ideas up here. Have a great weekend, wish Sean and I luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment