Friday, December 27, 2013

I'm tired of Christmas...

I'm normally not very Scrooge'ish or Grinch'ish, but I've had enough. Grumpy wife home from work...psycho kids showing me their new toys over and over, fighting over who gets to play the Xbox next and who touched who's toy...Chirstmas clutter piled around everywhere (actually I cleaned up the kids' messes yesterday, but the wife's crap is EVERYWHERE...).

So, I'm retreating to some peace and quiet and a quick blog post to help restore sanity!

FFS, at least get dressed!





First up is the Battle For Salvation Winter 40k League! Lots of competition here...Bob Sinnot, Sean Nayden, Brendan Gallagher, Mike Morales, Ed Miller, Danny Internets...I think maybe even Will Smith too! I'm not really in to 40k these days, but really enjoy playing with these guys, so will wade in there with the same list I've been wading in with for awhile now...Screamerstar with FMC support. It's not a great list anymore, despite the whining of the newbs, but it's what I've got, and I'm not motivated enough to build/paint anything else for 40k, and certainly don't want to give them my money! So here's what I'll be using:

Fateweaver
Herald of Tzeentch (Disc, Level 3, Exalted Reward)
Herald of Tzeentch (Disc, Level 3, Exalted Reward)
Herald of Tzeentch (Disc, Level 3, Exalted Locus)
12 Daemonettes
12 Daemonettes
11 Horrors (Champion)
9 Screamers
Daemon Prince (Tzeentch, Wings, Armor, Level 3, Lesser Reward, 2 Greater Rewards)
Daemon Prince (Tzeentch, Wings, Armor, Level 3, Lesser Reward, 2 Greater Rewards)

That being said, we're allowed to modify/tweak the list in the first few weeks of the league, so I may try replacing one of the Daemon Princes with Belakor as CSM Ally...if nothing else he's a guaranteed Invisibility to throw on something, and a fine target for the Grimoire if Forewarning doesn't come up.

I'm also planning on attending Templecon again this year for the Onslaught GT! 1850 tournament, that is sadly using the nerf to Screamers that has become popular (by those who have a) never used the army; and b) are not imaginative enough to see it's weaknesses and deal with them)....the first roll is on a 2++, but the reroll is not a 2++, but a 4++. Whatever. For you math-inclined folks, that means you go from 1/36 failure rate to 1/12. Not good enough in today's environment of 50-60 wounds vs T4 being generated by Wave Serpents and Broadsides, and terrain is sure to not be good enough to provide protection as it should, but as I said before, it's what I have, and I'm not going to give GW any more of my money, so that's what I'll use! :)

I'll be using the same list as for the BFS thingie, but probably just drop to two units of troops and maybe one Screamer model...something like that. 2 Troops takes it from bad list to horrible, but I'm not in the mood to care much, I just want to push models around and blow shit up....

...because that's something you never hear much about, is Screamer units blowing shit up. See, the way I see it, if I'm not going to have my 1/36, I'm not going to go 'all-in' trying to get Forewarning; instead every HoT will be taking Flickering Fire. I'll have decent chance of having Perfect Timing or even better Misfortune. I'll be guaranteed to have Prescience. That means something like 9d6 S6 shots with some kind of psy support...something like 27 hits, not much that doesn't threaten. But wait, there's more! (I miss Billy Zane!)...

the way it was ruled at Nova and 11th Co, Turbo boost is by model, not unit. So while the Heralds are shooting mental bullets at people, the Screamers will be doing Slash Attacks, too! For 9 Screamers that's another 18 S4 hits...not too shabby!

Of course, more often than not, I'd rather just be in melee with a lot of shooty-things to keep them from shooting, but still...I think it's fun, and will unload dice buckets at people as often as I can! (Then I'll cry when they're Denied and all my plans are for naught!)

But even more importantly than all this 40k drivel! I'm also going to participate in the Dropzone Commander tournament!

I've still not finalized a list yet, in fact I'm close to waffling to play Scourge instead of UCM...but as of now I'm going to go UCM with LOTS of tanks. My AA may suck, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be out-tanked! Something like this is what I'm aiming for:

Got Tanks?
Clash: 1493/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1493/1500 pts]
Field Command [303 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Squad Leader) [143 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [160 pts]
Armored Formation [423 pts]
Sabre Squad: 6x Sabre, Albatross [288 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier [135 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Special Ordinance [388 pts]
Gladius Squad: 4x Gladius, 2x Condor [298 pts]
Longbow Squad: 2x Longbow, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [90 pts]



It's been suggested...wisely...that I drop 3 of the Sabres, add in a 6th battlegroup of Wolverine As, and upgrade the Commander to not suck (CV3)....but man, I like those tanks!

Here's the probably more sensible list:

Got Tanks?
Clash: 1495/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]
Field Command [328 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [160 pts]
Armored Formation [328 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor(+Missile Pods) [152 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Special Ordinance [388 pts]
Gladius Squad: 4x Gladius, 2x Condor [298 pts]
Longbow Squad: 2x Longbow, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [90 pts]
Expeditionary Group [72 pts]
Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]

Adds a bit more AA, more Scout, 6th battlegroup, and CV3 commander, gives up 3 Sabres. I suppose that's the way I'll end up going. Sigh!

And I've actually gotten to play a real game of DZC too! Last week at BFS Brendan and I played! We used two Starter Boxes and added in the Command Vehicles (and used Command Cards!). I drove my UCM, he drove Bobby's Scourge!

We set up a 4x4, loaded it with some hastily folded up Buildings (I've been too busy/lazy to actually glue them!), and threw down some reasonably fair looking Objectives! The game took us about 3 hours, but that was with a lot of talking to other folks that were interested in the game, eating pizza, looking up rules, and not playing at a fast pace.

It was very interesting to me how much more engaged I felt in the game than in 40k. In 40k, I do all my stuff, then sit there and wait while you do all your stuff, and I remove models, and I go to the bathroom, go see how other folks are doing...ie I start to zone out often during opponent's turn. In DZC, with alternating activations, I was always ready to do something (which may be a problem in a tournament...I have a tiny bladder!)

Anyway, the game was tremendous, I had a great time and got a lot more mental exercise out of it than I have in competitive 40k lately. I highly recommend it to folks that are looking for a change of pace game!

Here's a few shots of the game, I hope you enjoy!

My second Infantry Battlegroup (2 squads of 3 in Bear APCs) rushed forward and grabbed two objectives early...they jumped back in their Bears and drove for my table edge (to the right in this pic), unable to be picked up by the Condor Dropship because of the Scourge AA Tanks lurking nearby!

Rapier AA Tanks and Sabre Battle Tanks play hide and seek with Scourge Tanks hiding behind the buildings in front of them. Note my Condor has Landed, providing Cover for the Tanks which are using their "Articulated Turrets" to fire over without penalty!

One of the Bears made it off the table with the objective, but the other was destroyed by a hellacious combination of Arc Casters and Plasma Hoses! The remnants of the squad jumped in to that brown building, then I used the Monorail Command Card to give them a jump in to this building close to the edge!

The Scourge have captured an objective! All my firepower went in to destroying their APC, trying to slow them down and keep them on the table!

The Scourge tried to destroy the building to keep me from keeping that Objective, but a few men survived, and they were able to Call For Extraction (getting a new APC from a Command Card)! On the next Scourge turn, the APC and the Infantry were destroyed, the Objective was left on the table, and my Kodiak Command Vehicle snatched it up and drove off the table!

The Scourge had taken one Objective off the table early, and were dancing around with their second, while I got my Third from this large building in the middle of the table! Only one Unit of the six Infantry in that battlegroup was alive, and he was chased down by scourge dropships, Desolator, and infantry! At game end, it had been picked up by one of those Rapiers, while he drove his second Objective off the table, giving the UCM a hard-fought 5-4 win! This game rocks!
Oh, and Merry Christmas to you! I hope you have a restful and blessed holiday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment